Thursday, October 24, 2013

Arrows



"Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth," says Psalm 127:4. 

The other day we were looking at baby pictures of the twins and Jade said that her dad and I looked like teenagers. Lol...um...we practically were I thought to myself. I still marvel at the mystery of why God has allowed us to be parents. I mean, we didn't exactly have PhD's in child rearing. Neither of us really even had that much job experience period. Shoot, we weren't even married yet, let alone thinking about 'settling down' and raising little people. As we drove home from the hospital after having the the twins (at a speedy 2 mph) I think both James and I were slightly terrified at the thought of being completely responsible for these two little lives. I mean having kids is kind of surreal right? One minute they're just quiet and bumping around inside your belly and then the next minute they're out and you have to figure out how to feed them, bathe them, dress them, keep them safe, keep them happy, not to mention later stages in life like how to read, how to drive, how to keep themselves pure, how to live a life that's ultimately for Christ and not themselves...I mean-WOW-why does God give any of us children?!?! 

 I think for me, it's so I can brag about how incredible and good our God is. 

Before I had truly surrendered my life to Christ, I pictured getting married and having kids as the last thing I wanted to do (that was so cliche!). I was going to travel the world, become a famous photojournalist for National Geographic, do some missions work (which is rather ironic since I hadn't even accepted the whole gospel) and THEN-maybe then, would I consider getting married-and only if I had met a perfect specimen of man who was willing to make me happy ever day for the rest of his life. Ha! Seriously, God must have chuckled to himself as he saw me laying out my life plans. 

Well, here we are now years later after some serious justification and sanctification. Being a warrior/parent is a daunting occupation but each day in battle amazes me. There is a passage in Ephesians that says it all:

          But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise;
God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong;
              God chose what is low and despised in the world, 
even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 
so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 
             And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, 
who became to us wisdom from God, 
righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 
so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord." 

-Ephesians 1:27-31  

Well God has truly blessed us and our quiver is full of arrows that He has entrusted to us. A couple months ago three of our arrows began full-time public school after many years of homeschooling. The battle is getting harder and harder every day but God is equipping us to be better warriors so that we may boast in Him. He is forcing me to wear His armor (also from Ephesians in chapter six) and to stop relying on myself. Honestly, who would go into battle malnourished, without weaponry or protection and without a plan of action?! And yet, many days I forget to eat my 'daily bread' and use my 'sword of the spirit' in the battles of every day life. 

I urge you, whether you're a parent or not, to 1) make sure you are fighting on God's side of the battlefield, 2) make sure you are training your heart and mind for battle and 3) when you are weary remember that this battle won't last forever. 

I pray that our arrows will be sharp and fast, that when they are shot out they will fulfill their purposes that God has given them. Some days I love the satisfaction that comes with being a warrior and other days it's downright exhausting. But there's never a dull moment in battle! Thank you Lord for making me a warrior and entrusting me with these four arrows.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful and encouraging words. Sometimes, when one hears an actor has been cast in a role, the initial reaction is, "Really?" but then, after the performance is done and viewed, folks couldn't picture anyone else in that role. I think God let you and James become parents (x4) because, now that I know you two as parents, I couldn't imagine you any other way; you're good at it, and you have some pretty good kids as evidence for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are putting your words out there Katy... keep writing! (And see you at school...) BTW, I think you were perfectly equipped ~ and are a wonderful mama to all four of your special little people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally got chills reading this. I've never heard that passage, but the visual of arrows in the hands of a warrior is stunning and powerful. Thank you for sharing your story Katy (really well written too).

    ReplyDelete